Monday, June 13, 2005
Fighters
Last night a huge Texan punched Annie in the face and her tooth went through her lip. I was working with this ridiculous new barback named Yama. Instead of trying to remedy the situation and get the guy out of the bar, he opted to go on a mad search for latex gloves, in case he had to fight the guy. I was like, "dude, are you fucking kidding me? Wanna find a hairnet while you're at it? Deal with this guy!" He chose to cower in the corner as the Texan continued to advertise his drunken rage in the middle of the bar. We called the police, and just as the guy finally decided to leave, a cop car swung around the corner and this cop jumps out of the car and cuffs the guy. He's all " I didn't do anything! Yeah, I punched him, but I've got more money than all you fuckers! I'm innocent!" The cop pulls a giant Crocodile Dundee-esque knife out of the guy's pocket as he's frisking him and he goes, "Well, you have a knife on you, we could start there..." They threw him in the back of the car and all these 21-yr. old girls who had been in the bar are all screaming and flitting around the street like too-tan mosquitos. The cops interrogated me, Annie, and a bunch of other people in the bar, and then an ambulance came and were cleaning up her face. It was one of those hyper human, grounding moments: I get out from behind the bar to go the bathroom for a second, and when I come back, Annie's got her back to me: she turns around, and her face is distorted, swollen, covered in blood so thick it looks black. Now she's gearing up to press charges, but the whole thing is so scary. Who's to say the next time the Texan's back in NY he won't come looking for her? She went home and everyone had obviously fled the bar at this point, and I'm in there alone, shaking and sick to my stomach, when two frat boys come in, plop down on barstools and announce, "Yo, we just had the most FUCKED UP night!" I was all, "Oh yeah?" And the taller one goes, "Yeah- we went all the way up to the UPPER EAST SIDE for my friend's party- and I NEVER go above 14th St., and we get there, and there's no beer!!!" I thought, "Kill yourselves." When I got home Annie was smoking a cigarrette on the fire escape. She said "It hurts" and my heart broke into a million pieces. Tonight we saw Cinderella Man. It just seemed appropriate. It was good.
