Wednesday, August 17, 2005
The crying game
I've been playing it. When I was working at Curve, one of my assignments was to conduct a phone interview with jazz musician Madeleine Peyroux about her latest album, "Careless Love." I did a little bit of research, half-listened to her album one night after getting drunk on a bottle of four-dollar wine, and then called her the next morning. I asked her dozens of questions about her album, "Careless Whisper."
She never corrected me once. I noticed that she seemed sort of curt, but I figured she had been through many interviews and was just eager to be done with it. I ruthlessly demeaned a talented, successful young artist. I likened her new album to a Wham! song. I'm never gonna dance again. Approximately one week later, I was instructed to email Staci Bryant at "Big Teaze Toys," a lesbian sex toy company and request a 300 dpi color jpeg of an S&M vibrating bondage duckie, because it was being written up for an upcoming issue. I wrote Staci Bryant an email, and upon receiving the jpeg, heartily thanked her and told her I was a huge fan of her company, "Big Sleaze Toys." I also added earnestly, "How refreshing for a company like 'Big Sleaze Toys' to enrich and expand a market that has for so long been dominated by the same boring products!'"
She never wrote back.
She never corrected me once. I noticed that she seemed sort of curt, but I figured she had been through many interviews and was just eager to be done with it. I ruthlessly demeaned a talented, successful young artist. I likened her new album to a Wham! song. I'm never gonna dance again. Approximately one week later, I was instructed to email Staci Bryant at "Big Teaze Toys," a lesbian sex toy company and request a 300 dpi color jpeg of an S&M vibrating bondage duckie, because it was being written up for an upcoming issue. I wrote Staci Bryant an email, and upon receiving the jpeg, heartily thanked her and told her I was a huge fan of her company, "Big Sleaze Toys." I also added earnestly, "How refreshing for a company like 'Big Sleaze Toys' to enrich and expand a market that has for so long been dominated by the same boring products!'"
She never wrote back.
