Friday, September 16, 2005
The light
Nicole kind of freaks me out, because she has no character flaws. Like, every situation that arises where any normal person might act a little awkward, annoying, or self-important, she handles like a pro. She is personable, talented, and relentlessly humble. Like, how certain math dorks can multiple 3,872,314.12 by 4,009,721.086 in their heads, she can address any person in any given setting with ease and an earnest charm.
Onto my mom. My mother is an incredibly intelligent woman who's prone to sharing things with people that are either offensively obvious, or completely irrelevant to the issue at hand. Like how last week, we painted my apartment. Afterwards, she said, "I want some white wine." I said okay, and went to buy her a bottle. When I returned and she tried it, she announced, "It's turned. It's matterized!" She insisted on marching back to the liquor store, bottle in hand, and confronting the 19-year old boriqua wearing huge gold earrings.
My mother: "Hello. My daughter just bought this bottle of wine, because we just painted her un-airconditioned apartment a pale shade of yellow. I asked her to pick up some wine for us, and she did--but this bottle is matterized!"
The boriqua (skeptically): "We not gonna give you your money back."
My mother: "We're not looking for a refund. We'd just like to exchange it for a different bottle. One that's not matterized."
The boriqua: Fine. Whatever.
It's like, mom, no one knows what that means. Let it go.
Onto my mom. My mother is an incredibly intelligent woman who's prone to sharing things with people that are either offensively obvious, or completely irrelevant to the issue at hand. Like how last week, we painted my apartment. Afterwards, she said, "I want some white wine." I said okay, and went to buy her a bottle. When I returned and she tried it, she announced, "It's turned. It's matterized!" She insisted on marching back to the liquor store, bottle in hand, and confronting the 19-year old boriqua wearing huge gold earrings.
My mother: "Hello. My daughter just bought this bottle of wine, because we just painted her un-airconditioned apartment a pale shade of yellow. I asked her to pick up some wine for us, and she did--but this bottle is matterized!"
The boriqua (skeptically): "We not gonna give you your money back."
My mother: "We're not looking for a refund. We'd just like to exchange it for a different bottle. One that's not matterized."
The boriqua: Fine. Whatever.
It's like, mom, no one knows what that means. Let it go.
