Thursday, September 22, 2005
One for the road
Annie and I just spent three days in Ithaca. Two of the three people I went to see ended up not being in town, so we spent the majority of our time wandering around aimlessly. Our first night there we watched "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle" on Homa's couch and I wondered what the hell I was doing back in Ithaca. Annie and I fought a lot the first day because I wanted to shop for books and she wanted to get drunk and play pool at this cheesy sportsbar called 'Benchwarmers.' An ATM machine ate my credit card, I sprained my back, and I managed to get food poisoning from a cup of frozen yogurt. I didn't recognize a single person on campus, save for a convenience store guy who told me that I looked "babelicious" with blonde hair and asked where I had been for the past three years. I said, "I graduated," and he said, "Oh."
The next day we romped around in the gorges, which are unspeakably beautiful. I admired an enormous golden retriever puppy covered in mud from afar and came to the conclusion that I would move to a rat-infested housing project if it meant being able to afford a dog. We skipped rocks and slept in the sun and it was nice. Sometimes, though, it's so much nicer to experience something beautiful by yourself, because if it's with someone else then the experience becomes tainted. It's suddenly overshadowed by the perfunctory romantic gestures that you feel obligated to carry out (loving glances, hand-holding, an acknowledgment that something special is being shared), which detract from the thing itself. Afterwards we stopped by the Johnson museam and saw these amazing Japanese scrolls from the 18th century before two guards with red necks told us the museam was closed. At night, we ate amazing gazpacho, grilled chicken and salad and then went to a completely empty bar with Homa where we spent the night playing Erotic photohunt until the bartender politely asked us to leave because it was closing time.
The next day we romped around in the gorges, which are unspeakably beautiful. I admired an enormous golden retriever puppy covered in mud from afar and came to the conclusion that I would move to a rat-infested housing project if it meant being able to afford a dog. We skipped rocks and slept in the sun and it was nice. Sometimes, though, it's so much nicer to experience something beautiful by yourself, because if it's with someone else then the experience becomes tainted. It's suddenly overshadowed by the perfunctory romantic gestures that you feel obligated to carry out (loving glances, hand-holding, an acknowledgment that something special is being shared), which detract from the thing itself. Afterwards we stopped by the Johnson museam and saw these amazing Japanese scrolls from the 18th century before two guards with red necks told us the museam was closed. At night, we ate amazing gazpacho, grilled chicken and salad and then went to a completely empty bar with Homa where we spent the night playing Erotic photohunt until the bartender politely asked us to leave because it was closing time.
