Thursday, October 20, 2005
Down the stairs
I remember being eleven years old and watching in horror as Ray Pruitt chucked bony Donna down a flight of stairs. Being an avid 90210 fan, I felt a deep affinity for each member of the original cast, Donna and her creepily assymetrical nose-job nose included. I thought, "She should dump him, IMMEDIATELY." Funny how different things can feel when they're happening to you. She never flung me down a flight of stairs (or questioned how one might talk to an angel), but she does scare the shit out of me on an increasingly regular basis. Maybe the reason I'm trying to make light of the situation is because Annie only outweighs me by about three pounds; because if it really came down to it, I'm confident that I am capable of keeping her from causing serious damage. It's all very black-and-white for me, and not in the obvious sense: I am staying with her because I love her. I hate certain things about her, like her dependency on toxic vices, jealousy issues and the fact that she's a raging classist. But I love other things about her on such a primal, visceral level that I am willing to put up with all the other stuff. She just feels right. Like when I spoon her at night, her body fits perfectly in mine. She always smells good. When she laughs she looks so cute I want to cry. I've tried to imagine things without her and most of the time I don't like it.
