Saturday, December 10, 2005

 

Bad movie audiences

As I just tortured myself on an elliptical machine like a cat in heat at the gym, listening to what might be the weirdest remix I've ever heard (a reggaeton version of Carly Simon's "You're So Vain") I started thinking about how ridiculous everything is. I was watching this mannish woman in a Reese's Pieces t-shirt grunting and using one of the weight machines, swearing in Spanish as she flexed her considerably large muscles and specks of sweat clung to her downy mustache. After about twenty minutes she swaggered into the ladies' changing room with a sopping wet towel slung over her meaty shoulder. Ten minutes later, she sashayed out as she hurriedly zipped her cropped pink ski jacket with white fur trim. She had applied a heavy layer of bronze lipstick and had squeezed her hipless man-thighs into a pair of ass tight jeans with a neon white fade. It was like seeing someone vascillate between genders over the course of one workout, and it was weird as hell.
Last night I saw Brokeback Mountain, which was okay. The audience pretty much ruined it for me: a bunch of 19-yr. old NYU gays in colorful striped scarves and brand-new converse, cheering whenever Ennis and Jack frenched. It was particularly brutal when Ennis raced out the door to hump Jack in the woods for a weekend just after his wife caught the two of them making out in their driveway. She was obviously devastated, shocked, and her mousy little face quivered as her eyes filled with tears, and the crowd just laughed and cheered. Ellis Hanson told me that his crowd (he saw it in Chelsea) laughed hysterically when Ennis flipped Alma over in bed so he could do it from behind. I suppose the look of hurt that registered on her face didn't register with the crowd. Or, worse yet, it did register and was dismissed as unimportant.
On a different note, Melissa was in town for the first time in three months the other night, and she and Annie got drunk and took a bunch of klonopin (sp.?), which resulted in an enraged and incoherent Annie back in top form, dumping water on my head, blowing cigarrette smoke in my face, calling me a whore and a spoiled brat and telling me that she hated me. She punched a hole in my new desk, and I left. I went to stay at Nicole's, and Annie called to tell me that she had burned my grad school applications and thrown all my things out the window. The next morning she claimed to remember nothing. Like Jack said in Brokeback Mountain, "I wish I knew how to quit you."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?