Thursday, December 07, 2006
It ain't RIGHT
My ex-girlfriend has the peculiar habit of speaking like a straight-up street thug when she's drunk. Last night she called me completely wasted. "Are you drunk?" I asked.
"Yea. I'm DRUNK." she replied.
I was concerned. "How are you?" Supposedly, she had sworn off alcohol.
"Aiiiight," she slurred.
"How was Lacey?" I asked. Lacey is a friend of hers from Oakland who had recently come to visit.
"She CRAZY."
I paused. It had been a long, long time since I had spoken to Annie when she was that drunk, and I had forgotten about the weird speech affectations that, for her, go hand-hand with excessive alcohol consumption.
"'She crazy?'" I asked. "Why? You love Lacey."
"Nah, son. She still sprung on ANDREW and she acting all CRAZY."
The notion of a person with a name like "Andrew" being used in conjuction with such language is incredible. It's like someone saying, "Eugene ain't RIGHT. He sprung on Gladys, but shorty is WACK."
"Yea. I'm DRUNK." she replied.
I was concerned. "How are you?" Supposedly, she had sworn off alcohol.
"Aiiiight," she slurred.
"How was Lacey?" I asked. Lacey is a friend of hers from Oakland who had recently come to visit.
"She CRAZY."
I paused. It had been a long, long time since I had spoken to Annie when she was that drunk, and I had forgotten about the weird speech affectations that, for her, go hand-hand with excessive alcohol consumption.
"'She crazy?'" I asked. "Why? You love Lacey."
"Nah, son. She still sprung on ANDREW and she acting all CRAZY."
The notion of a person with a name like "Andrew" being used in conjuction with such language is incredible. It's like someone saying, "Eugene ain't RIGHT. He sprung on Gladys, but shorty is WACK."

